Travel to Germany: introduction (ドイツ旅行: はじめに)

Germany..., it is where I didn't have a chance to go even though I have been eager to visit there for long time.

I have been feeling so much for Germany. The Grimm's Fairy Tales and fantastic German children books were my favourites when I was a child, Franz Kafka's books (he wasn't German, though) struck me when I was a school girl, the encounter with the Bauhaus style made me decided to study art history in university, and German films that I saw occasionally were always interesting and evocative. In spite of my enthusiasm, I didn't have a single chance to visit Germany.

I think it wasn't my fault, but companions. They never mentioned Germany as the destinations of holiday trips when they asked me to go. It appears to me they thought it was less attractive than other European countries such as Italy, Spain and France. In fact, many people seem to have only exclusive (and negative, mostly) impressions like what my friends said when I told them that I planned to go Germany, for example, “... to have beer, sausages, potatoes a lot?” or “Where exactly are you going to? Berlin, Munich, or going through the Romantic Road?”

But it is also true that Japanese people have an affinity with this country to some extent. Japan once followed the example of Prussian system in the 19th century in order to achieve modernization, and we are still able to trace the influences in many Japanese words derived from German especially used in medical and scientific fields. What is more, Germany and Japan fought World War II against the Allies and are defeated.

As it happens that this year 2011 is the anniversary marking 150 years of friendship between Germany and Japan. In addition, I had noticed Women's World Cup was held in Germany (although I didn't think that Japan became the champion!). I was aware of Germanic culture when I visited Norway last year and it naturally reminded me of Germany.

Last December, I finally made up my mind to go there, and since then, I gathered information and carefully planned my journey. My friend, who was my companion of the trip, made fun of me time after time because I saw not only 6 guidebooks but also several books to learn more about Germany.

I planned to go to the western part of Germany around Cologne (Köln). I was interested in two things, the Cologne Cathedral and local beer called “Kölsch,” at the beginning, but I found other things were also interesting as I looked through. As it turns out, I travelled within 100 km of Cologne using German Rail Pass.

This time, I visited many places where package tours don't cover. They were wonderful even though a small number of foreigners went. So, I'm going to introduce such attractions thoroughly on my blog.



昔から常々行ってみたいと思っていたのに機会を逸していた国。それがドイツです。

子どもの頃はグリム童話やドイツの児童文学に夢中になり、高校生の時にはカフカ(厳密には彼はドイツ人ではないけれど)に衝撃を受け、バウハウス様式との出会いが大学での美術史専攻への道を拓き、折に触れて見たドイツ映画は私にとっては常に興味深く何かを訴えるものでした。これだけ思い入れの強さにもかかわらず、これまでドイツに行く機会は一度として訪れることがなかったのです。

原因は、自分自身のせいというよりはむしろ、旅の連れにあったのではないかと思います。旅行に誘われるとき、その行先にドイツの名前が挙がることは一度もありませんでした。彼女たちにとってドイツは、イタリア、スペイン、フランスといった他のヨーロッパの国々と比べると魅力に欠けるようです。実際、多くの人はドイツに対して限定的な(そして多くの場合、否定的な)イメージしか持っていないようで、その典型的な例が今回私の旅行計画を話した時の友人の反応でした。つまり「ビール飲んで、ソーセージとジャガイモ食べたりするの?」とか、「ドイツのどこに行くの? ベルリン? ミュンヘン? あとはロマンティック街道くらい?」といった類の。

でも一方で、日本人はこの国に対してちょっとした親近感を持っているのも事実です。19世紀、日本は近代化の実現のためプロイセンの体制を模範としており、私たちは今でもドイツ語から派生したたくさんの日本語(特に医学・科学分野で使われる単語)からその影響力を見ることができます。それに第二次世界大戦ではドイツと日本は枢軸国として連合国と戦い、共に敗戦国となっていますから。

しかも今年、2011年は日独交流150周年。折しも今年開催のサッカー女子ワールドカップの開催国にもなっていたことに密かに気付いていたのです(とはいえ、日本が優勝するとまでは考えていなかったのだけれど)。去年のノルウェー旅行でゲルマン系民族の文化に目覚め、それが自ずとドイツのことを思い起こさせていました。

「今行くしかない」と旅行を心に決めたのが昨年の12月。それ以来、情報収集に勤しみ、着々と旅行計画を立ててきました。6冊ものガイドブックに目を通すだけに留まらず、ドイツに関する本を読み漁っていたので、今回の旅に同行してくれた友人には何度もからかわれました。

行先はドイツ西部の都市ケルン(Köln)とその周辺。当初は大聖堂とケルンの地ビール「ケルシュ(Kölsch)」くらいしか注目していなかったのだけれど、いろいろ調べているうちにあれもこれもと気になるところが増えていき、気付けばジャーマンレイルパスを利用してその周辺100km圏内も巡る旅になっていました。

ツアーでは組み込まれることのない名所の数々。外国人観光客は少なかったけれど、どれも素晴らしかったので、このブログで余すところなく紹介していきたいと思います。

Comments

Popular Posts