Cathedral Tower Climb (ケルン大聖堂南塔)


Comparing to the Treasure Chamber, visitors (especially younger people) would love to enter the South Tower. The tower is 158.31m high, and visitors able to go to the observatory just under the spire which is approximately 100m high. The lookout offers a wonderful view, so that it is natural that children and younger generations prefer enjoying the view rather than watching ritual objects that they don't understand what exactly they are.


The reason elderly people hardly try is that there isn't any alternatives to climb stairways on foot. We have to climb 533 steps to reach the lookout, and 509 of them are spiral staircase made of stone. They are so narrow that we hardly pass another on the stairs. Even though I'm no longer young, even if I don't like climbing stairs, even if I'm afraid of heights, I couldn't resist the panorama of Cologne. Yet, the way up wasn't as easy as I had expected.

While going up, I had to be aware of descending children and I felt rushed by who were climbing next to us (actually not, though). In the middle of stone steps were worn out and steep, so that I spontaneously leaned towards the centre. There were small windows on the stone wall, but I hardly saw any views. It was boring and exhausting as if it was spiritual and physical training offered by the cathedral. I appreciated that I had a company who encouraged me to keep climbing in my own pace.

The South Tower is a bell tower, and we were able to look at where several bells were placed in the middle of the climb. We couldn't see them properly because the largest bell called St. Petersglocke was under repair. I had thought it was for restoration, but in fact, it was waiting for installing a new clapper because it broke and dropped off in January, 2011. No wonder we didn't hear bells rang during our stay. According to the website, St. Petersglocke is 24t bell casted in 1923 and the largest freely-swinging bell in the world. It was produced that the strike note was C and its first overtone was E as designated. I listened to the bell on the website (it offers sounds of all bells in the cathedral) and it actually sounded really C and E. This C major bell ring sounded harmonious and happy, and I was very sorry that I couldn't hear the sound in Cologne. Local people calls the bell Decke Pitter (means “Fat Peter” in Cologne dialect), and I felt people in Cologne are still proud of the bell.

 Getting back to the tower climb, the most difficult part for me wasn't the spiral staircase, but the 24 steps of steel-framed stairs leading to the observatory. Even though I understood it was firm and it had little steps, it was still scary to see the platform while climbing. Besides, my legs had been shaking because of fatigue. As he helped at a tower in Bacharach, I made it with my friend's help.

 It was magnificent. It wasn't easy to enjoying the view because of many visitors and wire fences, but we overlooked the whole city helped by the location of the cathedral (which is on the highest point of the city). I didn't see any taller buildings in the city centre. Most buildings were modern, but some historical architectures like restored churches interspersed among them. I had been sceptical about the fact that Cologne is the fourth largest city in Germany before I saw the view, but I found it was undoubtedly large. The city view was completely different from what I saw the day before in small towns, but it was the same that the Rhine flowed slowly across the city.

A problem of the tower climb is that I have to descend same stairs to get out. The spiral staircase made me feel dizzy exhausted, and finally, I felt thirst. I thought, “I'm going to a Brauhaus when I reach the ground. Nothing could be tastier than a glass of beer after this tower climb.”



宝物館に対して、観光客、とくに若い人々に人気なのが大聖堂の南塔です。塔の高さは158.31 mあって、その尖塔の錐の元の部分、おおよそ100mの高さにあるに展望台にまで登ることができるようになっています。もちろん展望台からの眺めは素晴らしいのは想像に難くなく、子供や若い世代の人達が、見ても何が何だかよく分からない儀式具を見るよりも、街の景色を楽しむ方を好むのは当然のことといえるでしょう。

年配の人が少ないのは、塔の上に行くには自分の足で階段を上る以外に方法がないためです。展望台までは533段の階段があり、そのうち509段は石の螺旋階段です。非常に狭い階段で、上り下りする人がすれ違うのも大変なほどです。私の場合、もう若くはないし、階段を上るのが好きなわけでもなく、高所恐怖症でもあったのですが、ケルンの街のパノラマを見ないわけにはいかないので、登ることを決心しました。予想通り、その道のりはかなり険しいものだったのだけれど・・・。

階段を上る間、逆に下りてくる子供達(ものすごく多かったです)に注意をしなくてはならず、また自分の後ろから上ってくる人達に急かされているような気分にもなりました。石段の中央部分は摩耗し、滑り易くなっているため、階段の端に寄ろうとしても、つい体が中央に傾いてしまいます。塔には小さな小窓があるのみで、螺旋階段を上っている間は外の景色を眺めることもできません。肉体と精神を鍛えるために与えられた試練ではないかと思うほど、退屈で疲れる移動でした。後ろから「自分のペースで登っていいんだよ」と力づけてくれる連れがいて本当に良かったです。

この南塔は鐘楼でもあり、途中で複数の鐘が設置されている場所を見ることができます。私達が上ったときは、最も大きなSt. Petersglocke(「聖ペテロの鐘」という意味)という鐘がなく、見てもあまり興味を引かれることがなかったと記憶しています。この時は単なる修復だと思っていたのですが、実は修理の最中だったのです。調べたところでは、私達が訪れる半年前、2011年1月に鐘の舌が下のフロアにまで落ち、そのため新たな舌を取り付ける必要があるとのことでした。どうりで滞在中、街に鐘の音が聞こえなかったわけです。大聖堂のウェブサイトによると、St. Petersglockeは1923年に納められた24tもある鐘で、世界最大のスイングベルだそうです。製作するときに鐘を打ったときの音がC(ドの音)、最初の余韻がE(ミ)の音になるようにという指定を受けて作られたそうで、録音された音を聞くと(ウェブサイト上ですべての鐘の音を再生できるようになっているのです)、確かにドとミの音でした。ハ長調のハーモニーはとても明るく調和が取れていて、ケルンの町中で聞くことができなかったのが残念なくらいです。地元の人はこの鐘をDecke Pitter(ケルンの方言で“太っちょピーター”といった意味だとか)と呼ぶそうで、住民がこの鐘に愛着を持っているのが感じられます。

階段上りに話を戻しますが、私にとっては螺旋階段以上に大変だったのが最後に残された、展望台に続く鉄骨の階段でした。これが堅固で、段数がそれほど多くないことは頭では分かっていましたが、上っている間に鉄骨の合間から下が見えるのが恐ろしいのなんの。しかもすでに500段以上上ってきているために膝が笑っている状態で、足元がとても不安定だったのです。バッハラッハと同じように友人に手を引いてもらってなんとか上り、ようやく展望台に到達しました。

素晴らしい景色でした。人の多さと展望台に張り巡らされたフェンスのせいで、景色を楽しむのはそれほど楽ではなかったのですが、建物が街一番の高台にあるせいもあって街中を見渡せるようになっています。周囲に高い建物が一切ありません。多くは近代的な建築物ですが、再建された教会などの歴史的建造物が所々に点在しています。この景色を見る前は、ケルンがドイツ第四の都市だという事実を疑わしく思っていたのですが、確かに規模の大きな都市でした。前日に見た小さな町で見た景色とは全く違っていましたが、唯一変わらないのはライン川の様子でした。悠然と街の真ん中を貫いて流れているのです。

塔に登るのは良いのですが、問題は外に出るのに行きと同じ分だけ階段を下りていく必要があるということです。螺旋階段を下りていると段々と目が回ってきて、疲れも増し、最後には喉まで乾いてきました。下りきったらビールを飲みに行こう、絶対美味しいに違いない、と思ったものです。

Comments

Popular Posts