The National Gallery (Nasjonalgalleriet, 国立美術館)

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

Visiting the National Gallery (Nasjonalgalleriet) wasn't my plan at first because we didn't have enough time to see all pictures, but we went there even though we had less than 1 hour. It was my friend's idea and I guess she thought it was enough to see only Munch's paintings.

This gallery has before pre-modern and modern Norwegian art including Edvard Munch's The Scream. It also consists of Dutch and French paintings about the same time. I was afraid if the exhibition were more interesting than I expected, so that I made up my mind to concentrate on Munch and French modernism and avoid seeing other exhibition seriously. I actually did so, but I eventually kept her waiting at the entrance for a while.

When I looked at Munch's works, I firstly gave an attention to the sky that he painted. It was cold pale blue, which was exactly the colour of Norwegian sky. I strongly thought so when I saw White Night and The Kiss since they are similar to evening sky that I have seen. I'm still not keen on Munch's pictures because they are uncomfortable and make me depressed, but I recognised his nationality stronger than ever. I suppose it is because I saw his paintings in Oslo after looking around Norway.

And secondly, I looked at The Scream and Madonna covered with thick plastic board. It reminded me of a series of theft. (FYI, this Scream had also stolen in 1994, and you will see what was happened if you read The Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece.) Yet at the same time, I thought they needed to tighten the security. Many security guards were at the entrance and in exhibition rooms, but the building and the security systems are unlikely new. It looked obviously inefficient. To be honest, I was surprised that it just had such a poor security although it is the largest national gallery in Norway and a large amount of people visit there every day. In my opinion, there is no wonder that the security guards went on strikes (I saw this article after going back to Japan.)

Back at the paintings in the gallery, most of works are Romanticism or Realism paintings which I wasn't especially interested in. They were not as appealing as the real landscape of Norway. Of course, some of them caught my eyes, though. For example, Street in Røros painted by Harald Sohlberg is striking. The motif is really simple, but the colour is it has Norwegian mood. The Sick Girl painted by Christian Krohg is peculiar and scary as the girl's face is very real. I like the Gerhard Munthe's illustrations drawing the scenes from Norse mythology. He seemed to adopt Arts and Crafts style; the illustrations were so beautiful that it reminded me of illustrations of Private Press in England.



オスロでの滞在時間が短かったので、当初国立美術館(The National Gallery, Nasjonalgalleriet)に行くつもりはなかったのですが、結局1時間程度の時間しかなかったにもかかわらず行ってみることになりました。友達のアイデアだったのですが、彼女としては多分ムンクの絵を見るくらいの時間はあるだろう、という考えだったのだと思います。

この美術館にはエドヴァルド・ムンクの「叫び」を含む、ノルウェーの近代以前のアートや、ちょうどその頃のオランダやフランス絵画なども展示されていました。時間が足りなくて絵を見そびれるのは残念だったので、いっそのことムンクとフランス近代絵画を集中的に見ようと決め、他の展示はあまりじっくり見ないことにしました。その通りに回ったとはいえ、結局友人のことを入口で待たせてしまったのですけれどね。

ムンクの作品を見た時、最初に注目したのが彼の描いた空の色でした。淋しげな薄い青あるいは水色で、私がこの旅で見たノルウェーの空の色そのものでした。特に「White Night 」(日本語タイトルは「白夜」で良いのですかね?)と「接吻(The Kiss)」を見た時にはそう思いました。ムンクの絵に関しては、見ていて心地が良いものでもないし、気持ちが滅入るので依然としてあまり好きではないのですが、これらの絵をこの国を旅行中にオスロでまとめて見たことによって、彼がノルウェー人であったということを、強く意識しました。

次に見たのが、分厚いプラスチック板にカバーされた「叫び」と「マドンナ」です。この様子を見て、そういえば彼の絵は何度も盗難に遭っているんだということを思い出しました。(ちなみに、国立美術館の『叫び』も1994年に一度盗難されていて、そのことについては『ムンクを追え! 『叫び』奪還に賭けたロンドン警視庁美術特捜班の100日』という本に詳しく載っています。それを元に制作され、BSジャパンで放送された「ムンクを奪還せよ!『叫び』回収までの84日間 囮捜査官チャーリー・ヒルの挑戦!」という再現ドキュメンタリー番組も面白かったです。) それで思ったのが、この美術館、警備をもっと強化する必要がありそうだということ。何人もの警備員が入口や展示室にいるのですが、建物や防犯システムが新しいとは到底思えず、効率が悪そうです。ノルウェー最大の、しかも国立の美術館で、毎日たくさんの人が訪れるというのにこんな手薄な警備体制で良いのかと、正直非常に驚かされました。私に言わせれば、警備員がストライキをするのも納得です(日本に帰ってきてから知ったのですが、私が訪れて約1週間後にオスロの美術館警備員がストライキを起こしたみたいですね(記事はこちらです))。

絵の方に話を戻すと、ほとんどは私があまり興味を引かれないロマン主義、写実主義絵画でした。特に風景画はどれもきれいなのだけれど、実際に見たノルウェーの風景と比べてしまうと、それほどは精彩がなかったですし。もちろんいくつかは気になったものもあります。例えばHarald SohlbergのStreet in Rørosは、モチーフは簡素なのにノルウェーという土地の雰囲気があって印象的だったし、クリスチャン・クローグ(Christian Krohg)の「The Sick Girl」は、あまりにリアルで怖いくらいでした。中でも気に入ったのはイェールハルド・ムンテ(Gerhard Munthe) による、北欧神話をモチーフにしたイラストです。どうもアーツ・アンド・クラフツの様式を取り入れたようで、絵がとても美しくて、イギリスのプライベート・プレスの挿絵を思い起こさせます。

Comments

Popular Posts