Temppeliaukio Church (Temppeliaukion kirkko, テンペリアウキオ教会)

There are a number of popular modern architectures in Helsinki. Temppeliaukio Church (Temppeliaukion kirkko) is one of them. It is located at the top of a hill in a residential area north-west side of Helsinki Central railway station (Helsingin päärautatieasema).

Guidebooks usually recommend taking a bus or a tram from the city centre, but I walked from the west end of Esplanadi as I thought I would understand better where I have been if I took a walk. Since I came Helsinki, I spoiled myself a bit because my friend kindly led my way. I thought it was no good, so that I asked her to look around Helsinki by myself instead of taking a day trip to Tallinn with her. Yeah, you can go to the capital of Estonia by a speed boat or ferry from Helsinki very easily.

Streets and buildings on my way were ordinary and looked dull, but unexpectedly, Helsinki Central railway station was interesting. Actually, I had seen this building when I just arrived at the city, but I didn't notice it. I was so exhausted that I didn't feel like sightseeing.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

The present station building was designed by Eliel Saarinen and completed in 1914. He was a Finnish architect who designed many art nouveau buildings in Finland. Later, he moved to the United States and influenced American architects and industrial designers such as Charles and Ray Eames. The style of the station is National Romantic, which is a Nordic architectural style influenced by a nationalism movement during the late 19th and early 20th century. I was not familiar with this style, but I saw some degree of the decorative characteristic especially in the interior and statues at the front although it looked more massive than typical art nouveau architectures.

Temppeliaukio Church wasn't far from the station as far as I remember. The route is easy to find if you have a map, and besides it is obvious since many tour buses park along the street up the hill. I couldn't see the exterior very well disturbed by these buses, so that I immediately walked in the church.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

It was extremely stylish, simple and pure as if it rejected any isms and philosophy although it is a church. This chic architecture was designed by Finnish architects Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen (They are brothers) and opened in 1969. It was built into solid granite. The interior surface looked rough because rocks gauged out from the foundation were used, but in contrast, the copper dome encircled by glazed window were really cool.

A woman was playing a piano when I visited there. The church was filled with beautiful sounds, so that I just felt that this place is like a concert hall rather than a church. In fact, many concerts are held as it is famous for excellent acoustics. I sat in the middle and enjoyed music for long time. It was pretty and likely Sibelius' piano works although I wasn't sure. I was relaxed while I was listening music. It was one of the most blessed times in Helsinki.

I took a tram on the way back to the city centre, by the way. I had already bought a tram ticket at a kiosk in the morning as I just wanted to try it at least once. It was really easy to take even for tourists.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)



ヘルシンキには人気の近現代建築がいくつもあります。テンペリアウキオ教会(Temppeliaukion kirkko, 英語名称はTemppeliaukio Churchもそのうちの一つで、ヘルシンキ中央駅(Helsingin päärautatieasema, Helsinki Central railway station)の北西に位置する住宅地の丘の上に建っています。

ガイドブックでは、町の中心部から行くにはバスやトラムを使うことを勧めていますが、私はエスプラナーディの西端あたりから歩いて行きました。歩けば土地勘が掴めると思ったのです。ヘルシンキに来たからというもの、友達がいろいろ調べて各観光名所に私を連れて行ってくれていたので、ちょっとそれに甘えていました。あまり良くないことだと思い、彼女と一緒にエストニアの首都タリンに日帰り旅行をする代わりに、一人でヘルシンキを見て回りたいとお願いしたのです。そう、ヘルシンキからタリンへは高速船かフェリーですぐに行けちゃうんですね。

教会までの道のりでは、通りも建物もありきたりで退屈でしたが、意外にもヘルシンキ中央駅は面白かったです。実を言うと、町に来たときに建物は見ていたのですが、その時はあまりに疲れていて観光気分ではなく、全然気がつかなかったのです。

現在の駅舎はエリエル・サーリネン(Eliel Saarinen)によって設計され、1914年に完成しました。彼はフィンランドの建築家で、国内でいくつかのアール・ヌーボー建築を設計していますが、後に彼はアメリカに移り、チャールズ・イームズ、レイ・イームズなどのアメリカの建築家やインダストリアル・デザイナーに影響を与えました。ヘルシンキ中央駅は国民的ロマン主義(National Romantic)という様式で、これは19世紀後半から20世紀初頭にかけての民族主義運動に影響を受けた北欧の建築様式だそうです。こういった建築には馴染みがないのですが、典型的なアール・ヌーボー建築よりは重厚な感じがしますが、内部や駅の正面の彫像などにはアール・ヌーボーのような装飾性が見られました。

記憶では、テンペリアウキオ教会は駅からそんなに遠くなかったような気がします。道も地図さえあればわかりやすいし、丘の上に沢山の観光バスが止まっているのですぐにわかります。このバスのせいで外観がよく見えなかったので、すぐに教会の中に入ってしまいました。

内部はものすごくスタイリッシュで、簡素かつ純粋。教会なのでまるであらゆる主義、思想を受けつけない感じがします。このシックな建築はフィンランドの建築家ティモ・スオマライネン、トゥオモ・スオマライネンという兄弟(Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen )により設計され、1969年に公開されました。堅固な花崗岩の中に建てられており、くり出した岩を壁に用いているため、表面はごつごつと粗い感じがしていますが、それとは対照的に、ガラス張りの窓で囲まれた天井の銅製のドームは非常にクールな作りです。

私がここを訪れたときは、女性がピアノを弾いていました。教会の中は美しい音で包まれており、そのため私は、ここが教会というよりもコンサート・ホールみたいだな、と思ったものです。事実、ここの音響効果が優れていることもあって、沢山のコンサートが開かれています。私は教会の真ん中の席に座り、流れるピアノの音をじっくり聴きました。とても可憐な曲で、確信はありませんでしたが、シベリウスのピアノ曲のような感じがしました。耳を澄ましている間はとてもリラックスした気分になり、場所柄からかもしれませんが、ヘルシンキ滞在中で最も心休まる楽しい時間を過ごしました。

帰りはトラムを使いました。トラムに一度は乗ってみたいと思って、朝のうちにキオスクでチケットを買っておいたのです。観光客にも気軽に乗れる交通手段でした。

Comments

Popular Posts