Suomenlinna (Sveaborg, スオメンリンナ)

To be honest, I wasn't interested in Helsinki very much when I was arranging this journey. But Suomenlinna (Sveaborg) was the exception because it was one of UNESCO World Heritage sites in Finland (as I'm keen of visiting World Heritage sites). So, I went there in the morning of the 2nd day in Helsinki.

Suomenlinna was built as a sea fortress built on small islands 2 km south from the city centre. The construction started in order to reinforce the defence of Sweden against Russia in 1748, and a Swedish military architect Augustin Ehrensvärd designed bastion-type fortress which people were able to inhabit. In spite of the enormous cost, the fortress wasn't incapable of protecting against Russian attack as it easily surrendered in 1808. However, the construction brought economic growth to Helsinki.

The fortress has been used as a military base or a prison camp for over 250 years by three countries, and there is still a naval academy in the island, most area became civilian administration. Now, it is not only one of the most popular tourist attraction, but the resident area and popular picnic site for local people.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

People get there from city centre by ferry or waterbus and both of them depart from the Market Square (Kauppatori) piers. I took a waterbus as my friend and I just found the waterbus's dock at first. Many people were waiting for a waterbus. I saw some people taking small children on pushchairs, an elderly woman holding fresh foods bought at a market as well as tourists, and I thought it appeared true that local people use waterbus frequently.

As it was sunny, short boarding on a waterbus was really comfortable. Sunshine was strong, but  the see breeze was really cool. The sky and the Baltic Sea were calm and beautiful. Approximately 15 minutes later, it arrived at the main quay, the north side of islands. As free brochure suggested walking along the main route, I followed the route to south visiting several sights in the islands.

When I reached the south end, I saw the horizon. Well-preserved remain of 18th century's fortress was worth seeing, but the scenery was more impressive. Green grasses and yellow rape blossoms covered ground, the sky and the sea that had different colours of blue were in front of my eyes. When I look back the north side, I saw a small white building across the sea. It was Helsinki Cathedral, and looked really white as the walls reflect bright sunlight. The Finnish flag was flying at the fortification. I had prepared to listen to Sibelius' Finlandia as I had expected this place would be nice hear this song although it didn't suit for listening in my small apartment. I was certainly right.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

I spent more than 3 hours in Suomenlinna. It was really fun just walking around and we had many option to having lunch although I had a humble lunch in a small café. My friend was amazed many kinds of flowers usually blooming in different seasons in Japan bloomed at the same time. When I heard it from her having lunch, I recognised that the warm season was very short in Finland.

It was also interesting to see multilingual visual guide about the history of the fortress at Suomenlinna Museum and to listen in on guided tours offered by tourist groups. In any case, I looked back at the history of Finland and Helsinki in these few hours more than when I visited other attractions in Helsinki.



正直なところ、旅行計画を立てている時点ではヘルシンキにはあまり関心がありませんでした。でも世界遺産好きとしては、文化遺産として登録されているスオメンリンナ(Suomenlinna, Sveaborg)だけは例外で、なのでヘルシンキに到着した翌日の朝に早速訪ねてみることにしたのでした。

スオメンリンナはヘルシンキから2kmほど南にある小さな島に建てられた海上要塞です。1748年にロシアからの攻撃に備えてスウェーデンの守りを固めるために、建設が始まりました。責任者となったスウェーデンの軍人アウグスティン・エーレンスヴァルド(Augustin Ehrensvärd)はこの要塞を、人が居住できる星型要塞(五稜郭と同じようなタイプの要塞です)にするべく建設を進めていきました。実際には莫大な費用がかかったにもかかわらず、この要塞はロシアの攻撃を防ぐ役割を果たせぬまま、1808年に降伏してしまうのですが、建設事業により地方の小さな町でしかなかったヘルシンキが発展することになりました。

要塞は250年以上の間、3つの国(スウェーデン、ロシア、そしてフィンランド)によって軍事施設あるいは収容所として利用され、今ではフィンランドの海軍学校がある以外は、島はは民政下に置かれています。ヘルシンキでも最も人気の観光名所であるだけでなく、地元の人の居住地、またはピクニックに人気の場所となっています。

ヘルシンキの街から島まではフェリーか水上バスがあって、どちらもマーケット広場(Kauppatori)から出発します。私たちは水上バスを使ったのですが、それは単に最初に水上バスの乗り場を見つけたからという理由からです。たくさんの人が船を待っていました。観光客のほかにもベビーカーに子供を乗せている人や、マーケット広場で買った食料品を持っているおばあさんなども見かけられ、地元の人もよくこの水上バスを利用しているというのは本当なのだということが分かりました。

良く晴れていたので、水上バスでの旅はとても気持ちが良かったです。太陽の光は強かったけれど、海風がとても涼しく、空とバルト海はどちらも静かで、きれいですた、15分くらい経つと、島の北側の埠頭に到着しました。無料で配布されているリーフレットにお勧めのコースがあったので、いくつかの観光ポイントに立寄りながらそのメインルートを南に向かってたどっていきました。

島の南端に行き着くと、水平線が広がっていました。保存状態の良い18世紀の要塞の遺構も見る価値がありますが、ここからの景色はより印象的です。草の緑と菜の花の黄色が地面を覆い、空と海のそれぞれ違う青が目の前に広がります。北側を見ると、海の向こうに白い建物が小さく見えます。良く見るとヘルシンキ大聖堂で、太陽の光を反射して本当に真っ白に輝いています。フィンランドの国旗が砦にそびえており、自分の小さな部屋で聴くには仰々しかったけれど、ここで聴くには最適じゃないかと思って、シベリウスの『フィンランディア』を聴く用意をしていたのですが、実際、凄く雰囲気を感じました。

3時間以上もスオメンリンナにいたのですが、歩いているだけでも楽しくて、ランチをする場所にも事欠きませんでした。私たちはカフェで軽くお昼を済ませたのですが、その時友人が、日本だったら別の時期に咲く花がここでは同時に咲いているのがすごい、と話してくれました。それを聞いて、フィンランドでは温かい時期がとても短いのだということに気付かされました。

博物館で見た、スオメンリンナの歴史を紹介するマルチリンガルのビデオ(ナレーションがたどたどしくて時々イラっとしたけれど日本語もありました)も、そばで盗み聞きしたグループ向けのガイド付きツアーの話も興味深かったです。ヘルシンキで他の名所を訪れた時以上にフィンランドとヘルシンキの歴史のことを考えさせられる場所であったのは確かです。

Comments

Popular Posts