Oslo City Hall (Oslorådhus, オスロ市庁舎)

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

Next morning, I headed to the City Hall (Rådhuset). Walking through a street called Rådhusgate, I saw a harbor and a park with statues to my left and the Nobel Peace Centre (Nobelfredssenter) in front. The City hall was my right-hand side, which face the park across the street.

I had read on a guidebook explaining that city halls are dominant buildings in Scandinavian capitals rather than churches. It was the reason that I visited there even though I had less than a day in Oslo. Without doubt, it was massive and remarkable. Yet, it appeared to me it was just one of city halls, and I couldn't easily imagine that the Nobel Peace Prize is presented there every year. My first impression hadn't changed when I entered the lower level of the City Hall from the harbour side.

I realised that it was wrong soon after seeing the Central Hall. It is exactly where the Nobel Peace Prize presentation is awarded. All walls are decorated by bold paintings. They are painted by Norwegian artists in the early 20th century with motif of Norwegian history, culture and working life. I thought interesting because the motif was completely different from what I had seen in other European countries. I had seen murals painting the scenes from the bible or Roman mythology a lot, but it was first time that I saw such colourful murals that ordinary citizens are the staple.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

There are more paintings by Norway's leading artists including Edvard Munch in the upper floor. All of them are so colourful that stand out against the walls, but I was especially interested in, or rather surprised at 2 paintings. They are the portraits of King Harald V, the present chief of state of Norway, and Queen Sonja painted by a Norwegian painter named Håkon Gullvåg. King and Queen with pale skin were standing against the cold blue back ground. The strokes looked quick and dynamic. It was impressive, but King and Queen looked tired and unhealthy because of colours and strokes. As Japanese point of view (since we adopt constitutional monarchy with high respect to Imperial family which is sometimes too sensitive), it was surprising because in Japan, frankly speaking, a painter are almost impossible to paint the royal family like that and to show them in public.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

There were woodcuts in the arcade the main entrance, and each reliefs show a scene from Norwegian mythology. They are humanistic and symbolic, but they were more rustic than the paintings inside of the buildings. It matched my impression of the Norse Mythology when I read it before traveling, and I thought it also matched the massive exterior of the City Hall.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

Despite the short visiting, I understood that Oslo City Hall was not only the place for municipal government and the administration office, but also the monument representing the fundamental spirit of the community.



翌日の朝、市庁舎に向かいました。Rådhusgateという通りを歩いていくと、左側には港と彫像が飾られた公園が見え、目の前にはノーベル平和センターが見えてきました。市庁舎は私の右手、道を挟んで公園と向かい合っていました。

オスロ観光に1日しか割けないような状態だったにもかかわらず、ここを見に行くことにしたのは、ガイドブックに、北欧諸国の首都において市庁舎というものは、教会以上に支配的な重要な建物だと書いてあったためです。確かに大きくて、目立つ建物だったのですが、私からすればどこにでもありそうな市庁舎の一つで、ここでノーベル平和賞の授賞式が行われると言われても想像がつきません。この私の第一印象は港側にある入口から中に入ったときのそんなに変わりませんでした。

ですが中央の大きなホールに入った途端、それが間違いであるということに気がつきました。まさにノーベル平和賞の授賞式が行われるその場所は、全面を非常に華やかな壁画で彩られています。20世紀初頭に活躍したノルウェー人アーティストによってノルウェーの歴史、文化、そして労働者の生活をモチーフに描かれた作品です。今まで見てきたヨーロッパの市庁舎の壁画は、聖書やローマ神話の一場面を描いたものが多かったので、それらとは異なったモチーフに非常に興味を引かれました。一般市民を中心に描いた、こんな色鮮やかな壁画を見るのは初めてだったのです。

階上には、ムンクをはじめ、ノルウェーの代表的な画家達による絵画も展示されていました。どれもカラフルで非常に目立つ作品でしたが、私は特に現ノルウェー国王と王妃を描いた肖像画に興味を持った、というよりも驚かされました。Håkon Gullvåg という画家が描いた作品だそうですが、青ざめた顔の国王と王妃が冷たい印象の青い背景の前に立っている絵で、速くて大胆な筆致で描かれています。非常に印象的なのですが、色とブラシの動きのせいで国王と王妃が非常に不健康に見えます。日本人の感覚では王族をこういう風に描いて、それを公共の場に飾るということがちょっと考えにくいせいか、意外で仕方がありませんでした。

正面玄関の外側には、北欧神話をモチーフにした木彫の壁画がありました。これも人間的で象徴的でしたが、屋内に飾られていた作品よりも素朴な感じがしました。旅行前に読んでいた北欧神話のイメージにも合っていたし、しっかしとした外観にもぴったりな感じがしました。

短い時間で回った建物でしたが、オスロ市庁舎が行政のための場所であるに留まらず、コミュニティの基盤となる精神を表現するモニュメントでもあるのだな、ということは理解できたように思います。

Comments

Popular Posts