heading to Oslo by Bergen Railway (ベルゲン急行に乗ってオスロへ向かう)

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

To get on the Bergen Railway was also one of the main objectives of this journey.

As I described in the introduction of my travels, the train goes approximately 500 km-long lines between Oslo and Bergen. It is known as the highest stretch of railway in Northern Europe. The construction begun in 1894 in order to link Stockholm and Bergen since Norway had been forced into a union with Sweden at that time. However, after Norway won its independence in 1905, the line served to link the Oslo and Bergen, and the construction completed in 1909.

I had already taken this railway from Bergen through Voss in the morning. After the exciting fjord cruise, I got back to this route again in the evening. This time I got on a express train at Myrdal station and went to east. Our train arrived at the station 10 minutes later than schedule. It was really long and I couldn't find easily my car, so that the train left soon after I found my seat and managed to store my suitcase.

The train seemed full. The car was newer and cleaner than what I had imagined from the exterior, but there was nothing to speak of because the interior is no difference between other express trains. Soon after I settled myself down, I started look at changing landscapes through the window. To be honest, I was watching the outside while I was in the train even though I knew it took 5 hours to reach Oslo. I didn't feel like sleeping although I was very tired, and besides I didn't want to miss anything seen from this scenic railway.

When it left Myrdal, the train crossed the mountains through tunnels. It was little busy to see the scenery during the tunnels, but I saw snow covering the mountain surface. The area during Myrdal and Geilo is the longest high-mountain stretch of railway in Europe, and the line crosses between a mountain range called Langfjelle and the Hardangervidda which is mountain plateau consisting of glaciers. My seat was at the left side, so that I couldn't see the landscape of Hardangervidda very well. What is more, it got dark as the sky was getting cloudy as if it could start raining at any moment.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

As the train passed between the mountains, I saw many conifer trees instead of rocks and snows along the railway. Such woody scenery was different from what I saw around Bergen. It might be because of the weather, perhaps. I thought it was less appealing, and I left my seat for a while and went to a cafeteria to fetch something to eat.

The cafeteria was 2 carriages ahead of mine. It was small, but people can have soft drinks, alcohol, snacks and light meals, and in addition, there was space to eat in although it is very small. I bought a hot dog and a cup of coffee, and had them watching the scenery through a large window of the cafeteria. Grayish raining sky, ill-maintained forests and abandoned building along the rails made me feel lonely and exhausted, and I somehow understood that Nordic people likely to suffer in depression in winter.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

When the train had passed about 2/3 of the way, the elderly couple who seated in front of me talked to me. They were Scottish and the husband had been Oslo several times for business, and it was the first time to go there with his wife. He said the purpose of the trip was to see his friend in Oslo, but they took reasonable flight to Bergen at first. When I told them that I was little worried about the weather, he answered it would be alright as he had hardly got heavy rain in Oslo.

On the way from Hønefoss through Drammen, I couldn't help watching a map every time the train passed or stopped stations so as to make sure where I was. I had been totally exhausted by this long day trip. I saw marked stations, and I encouraged myself that I was approaching the final destination.

At 10.32 pm, the train finally arrived at Oslo station. The platform of the railway was exactly what I saw in the film O'Holten (which I described in other post). Oslo station was larger and more modern comparing to other stations I had seen in Norway.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

It started raining again, so that my friend and I were hurry to an accommodation.



ベルゲン急行に乗ること、それはこの旅の主な目的の一つでもありました。

この旅行記の序文で書いたとおり、オスロ(Oslo)-ベルゲン(Bergen)間を結ぶ500kmの路線で、北欧で最も高い所を走る列車として知られています。1894年当時、ノルウェーはスウェーデンの連合統治下にあったため、当初はストックホルムからベルゲンを結ぶために建設が始まりました。1905年に独立を果たしたので、それを機に計画はオスロ-ベルゲン間の路線に代わり、それが1909年に完成しています。

朝、ベルゲンからヴォス(Voss)へ移動する際もこの路線を利用しましたが、フィヨルド観光後、夜になってようやくこの路線に戻ってきたわけです。今度は急行列車でミュルダル(Myrdal)駅から東に向かっていきます。列車は10分ばかり遅れて到着しました。連結されている車両が多くて、自分の乗るのがどこにあるのかを探すのに手間取ったため、自分の座席を見つけ、荷物をなんとか押し込んだ途端に列車が走り出しました。

周りを見回すと、満席のようでした。車両は、外観から想像したよりも新しく小ぎれいでしたが、ごく普通の特急列車だったので、取り立てて挙げるようなものもなかったかと思います。席に落ち着くと、私は窓越しに移りゆく景色をずっと眺め始めました。実を言うと、オスロまで5時間かかるのは知っていたのだけれど、疲れていた割には眠気も感じなかったし、それに景色が売りの列車で、それを見ずして終わるのは不本意だったので、乗っている間はずっと景色を眺めていたのです。

ミュルダルを出ると、列車はいくつものトンネルを通って山脈を抜けていきます。トンネルとトンネルの間に見える景色を眺めるのは少々慌ただしかったのですが、雪で覆われた山肌が見えました。ミュルダルとヤイロ(Geilo)区間では、この列車はヨーロッパでも最も長い距離の高地を走っていき、ラングフィェル山脈(Langfjelle)と氷河を抱くハルダンゲルヴィッダ高原(Hardangervidda)を越えていきます。私の席は進行方向左側にあったため、あまり高原側の景色は見えにくかったです。しかも今にも雨が降り出しそうなくらいに空が曇ってきたため、辺りも薄暗くなってきってきたのです。

列車が山地を過ぎると、線路沿いには岩や雪に代わって針葉樹林が見えてきます。同じような森でもベルゲンで見るのとは少し違う感じでした。もしかしたら天気が悪かったからかもしれませんが、ベルゲン周辺よりもちょっと見劣りする感じがして、それで私は席をしばらく離れ、カフェテリアに食べ物を買いに行くことにしました。

カフェテリアは私が乗っていた車両の2つ前の車両にありました。小さかったけれど、乗客はアルコール類を含め、各種飲み物や、軽食を買うことができます。それにほんの少ししか席はありませんでしたが、買ったものを食べる場所もありました。私はホットドッグとコーヒーを買って、カフェテリアの大きな窓から見える景色を眺めつつ腹ごしらえをしました。雨の降る灰色の空、手入れがされていない林や廃屋などを見ていたら、物寂しい気分になり疲れも増してきました。北欧の人が冬になると鬱病になリやすい、という話、なんとなくわかる気がします。

3分の2くらいを過ぎた辺りで、目の前の席に座っていた老夫婦が話しかけてきました。スコットランドから来たというお二人で、ご主人のほうは仕事でオスロには何度か来たことがあるのだけれど、夫婦で来るのは初めてだということでした。オスロの友人に会いに行くとのことでしたが、ベルゲンまでの格安航空券があったのでとりあえずベルゲンに行ったのだとか。私が天気のことを心配していると、ご主人のほうが、これまでオスロでひどい雨に降られたことはないから平気だよ、と言ってくれました。

ホーネフォス(Hønefoss)からドラメン(Drammen)の区間、列車が駅に停車したり、通り過ぎたりするたびに地図を見て、自分がどこにいるのかを確かめずにはいられませんでした。この長い一日旅行ですっかり疲れ切っていたのです。地図にチェックした駅を見つめては、目的地に近付いていることを確認して気持ちを奮い立たせます。

午後10時32分、定刻通りオスロ駅に到着しました。プラットフォームは映画『ホルテンさんのはじめての冒険』で見た通りで、駅はこれまでノルウェーで見てきたどの駅よりも大きくてモダンでした。

雨がまた降り始めたこともあり、友人と私はその日の宿に急いで向かったのでした。

Comments

Popular Posts