Design Museum and Design District Helsinki (デザイン博物館周辺)

Recently, Helsinki is internationally renowned for high-quality design culture. The city is appointed as World Design Capital 2012 by the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (a NPO founded for protecting and promoting the interests of the profession of industrial design), so that Helsinki City Official Tourism also uses the reputation to get publicity for tourists.

I found brochure of the Design District Helsinki at the reception of a hotel. The district is situated in south-west of city centre and it is the home of a wide range of designer shops, boutiques, artist workshops and galleries. The brochure introduces them with the location map. It was close to my accommodation and coincidentally, I need to buy a new bag as my backpack was totally worn out during the journey, so that I decided to take a look around this area.

From Scandinavia (2010-06)

Firstly, I visited the Design Museum(Designmuseo). This museum represents the development of industrial design from the late 19th centuries through the present, and the highlight is the products designed by Finnish designers such as Alvar Aalto, Kaj Franck and their successors. Although the collection of industrial products wasn't fascinating as the fine art collections (and such discussions always reminds me of The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction which I read when I was in a university), but I clearly saw the Finnish design characteristic from the exhibition. They are simple and functional. Even if the designers use colours and patterns, they tend to adopt minimal decoration highly influenced by nature of Finland.

Things in the museum, even a toilet, were all design-oriented. I was confused when I went the toilet and saw unusual door (as I didn't see how to open). The museum also has a nice shop and a café, both of which are more interesting than the exhibition. Unfortunately, I didn't find any bags that I liked, but the lots of designed products were gathered in a shop. The café was very pretty and the tableware was Iittala's product. I found the nice sofa at the corner and sat there for an hour drinking a cup of tea. 2 women were talking next to my table in Finnish which sounded lyrical and funny.

Unfortunately, it was raining in the afternoon. The rain got heavier and my map got wet, and I nearly got lost in the way. Occasionally, I found a small shop looked nice, so I decided to take shelter inside the shop. The man I saw in the shop was Japanese. Looking at goods in a shop closely, they were made in Japan although the design was modern. (I later found the name of the shop is common.)

We talked for a while and I got lots of information from him. The shop was located on the place named Viiskulma, which means Five Corners in English, and the name of a Finnish jazz band The Five Corners Quintet is derived from this place. He said that this area was popular for distinctive record shops. It was interesting as since I went their gig at Blue Note Tokyo in 2006. He also told me that the Design District Helsinki was a sort of neighbourhood association taking care of publicity if the retailers become the member.

I entered several shops looking for a bag after leaving his shop. Interestingly, most shops I thought interesting seemed to run by foreigners. I have got the one at last. Obviously, it was far from Finnish design as it had pretty colourful illustration on its side. The staff of the shop who spoke Italian when she talked on a phone said to me in English the bag was made in France. I liked it very much wherever it came from.

It was still raining and my trainers were soaked, but I was happy when I left the shop with my pretty new bag.



近年、ヘルシンキは高いクオリティを誇るデザイン文化で国際的に名をとどろかせており、International Council of Societies of Industrial Design(インダストリアルデザインとう業種への関心を高めるために作られたNPOらしいです)によって2012年のWorld Design Capitalに選ばれています。そのせいかヘルシンキ市観光局もこの評価を観光客に大して前面に押し出して宣伝を行っています。

私は泊まっていたホテルの受付で、Design District Helsinkiのパンフレットを見つけました。このパンフレットでデザイン地区(design district)とされているのは町の中心部から南西の地域で、ここには様々な種類のデザイナーショップ、ブティック、アーティストの作業場やギャラリーなどが集中しています。パンフレットでは、それらを地図とともに紹介しています。宿泊先に近かったし、偶然にも旅の途中ですっかりヨレヨレになってしまったバックパックの代わりを探す必要が出てきたので、この辺りを観に行くことにしました。

最初に訪れたのが、デザイン博物館(Designmuseo, Design Museum)です。この博物館では19世紀後半から現在にいたるインダストリアルデザインの発展を紹介しており、中でも見どころは、アルヴァ・アールト(Alvar Aalto)やカイ・フランク(Kaj Franck)やその後継者であるフィンランドのデザイナー達の作品です。工業製品のコレクションは、絵画や彫刻といった芸術作品を見るほどはドキドキしないものの(この議論が出てくると、いつも大学生の時に読んだ『複製技術時代の芸術』を思い出します)、フィンランドのデザインの特徴ははっきりと理解することができました。シンプルで機能的なんです。デザイナーが色や柄を用いたとしても、それはフィンランドの自然に影響を受けた装飾を最小限に用いるくらいなのです。

博物館にあるものは、トイレさえも非常にデザイン重視のものが多かったです。トイレに入った時はそのドアの形状に戸惑ったものです(どうやって開ければ良いか一瞬分からなかったから)。ミュージアム・ショップとカフェも併設されていて、これらは展示よりも楽しかったです。残念ながらミュージアム・ショップで好みのバッグを見つけられなかったのですが、デザインの凝ったものがたくさん売られていました。カフェもとても可愛らしく、食器やカトラリーはイッタラ(Iittala)のものが使われていました。カフェの隅に気持ち良さそうなソファーがあったので、そこに1時間ほどお茶を飲みながら座っていたくらいです。私の脇では、フィンランド人の女性が二人で話していましたが、そのフィンランド語の音は歌っぽく響き、面白かったです。

残念ながら、この日の午後は雨が降っていました。しかも次第に強くなっていき、持っていた地図は濡れ、もう少しで道に迷いそうでした。偶々感じの良い小さな店があったので、ちょっと雨宿りさせてもらうことにしました。入った店の店主は日本人で、店の商品もデザインがモダンではあったけれど、良く見ると日本の雑貨でした。(後で調べて分かりましたが、commonというお店です)

お店の人としばらく話していて、いろいろと情報を手に入れました。このお店、Viiskulmaという場所にあって、英語ではFive Cornerと訳されています。五差路なんです。フィンランドのジャズバンド、ファイブ・コーナーズ・クインティット(Five Corners Quintet)の名前って、この場所をとったものらしいのです。この辺りは個性的なレコード店が多いことで有名なエリアらしいです。Five Corners Quintetは2006年にブルーノート東京でライブをやった時に聴きに行っていたので、その話を興味深く聞いてしまいました。それとDesign District Helsinkiのシステムについて伺ったところでは、どうも地域の商工会みたいな感じで、メンバーとして登録すると宣伝などを行ってくれるということでした。

そのお店を出た後、バッグを探していくつかのお店に立寄ってみましたが、私が面白そうだと思って寄る店はみんな外国人の人が経営しているのです。ヘンですよね。ようやく気に入ったものを見つけることができましたが、明らかにフィンランドのデザインには程遠い感じです。とても可愛らしくて色も華やかなイラストがプリントされています。お店の人は電話口で流暢にイタリア語を話していましたが、私にはこれはフランスで作られたものだと英語で言ってきました。どこのものであるにせよ、とても気に入ったので、すぐに買ってしまいました。

まだ雨は降り続けていて、スニーカーは水が染みてきていました。でも新しいバッグと一緒に外へ出た時は少し幸せな気分だったものです。

Comments

Popular Posts