Wineries in Barossa

From Australia (2009-02)

Bethany was the cellar which I visited at first. This winery is very popular because of not only the quality but also the view. A small cottage is up the hill and vineyard stretch out below. Although many visitors came and went, the staff are really kind and friendly to everyone. One of them kindly gave us some advice about tasting and how to treat the bottle (we bought). We tasted white wine there as I didn't feel like tasting red. Cold wine was welcomed because of such heat, of course. In addition, I had heavy stomach feeling caused by indigestible Australian meal. Besides I don't like heavy wine very much.

I tasted the sparkling wine and some Riesling wines made from the grapes in Eden Valley. Even if it is dry, Australian Riesling is usually sweeter than Alsace Riesling. However, the taste becomes crisper and drier when it was chilled, and maybe it's the way they serve. Basically it has citrus-like fruity flavour, so that the mixture of flavour and texture is really refreshing. I liked it very much, so I bought 2006 Cuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brut and 2006 Eden Valley Riesling. And since then, I began looking for Eden Valley Riesling at everywhere I visited

Barrosa Cottage Wines was one that the visitor centre staff recommended to me when I asked that I would like to visit a smaller winery where I can taste Riesling. A Quilt and Craft shop run by the same owner was in front of the cellar door. Many quilts are displayed in these 2 cottages so that I didn't know which their main business was. But it was interesting. I bought a bunch of Australian fabric, which design was based on Aboriginal art, for my mother who sometimes does patchwork quilting. The winery has 2 kinds (dry one and sweet one) of Riesling. Both of which was nice to have casually.

Chateau Tanunda was also recommended to go at the visitor centre. As the winery is very large, people can taste much kind of wines in one place. The building was the oldest chateau in Australia built in late 19th century, but people would be disappointed if they expected like European castle. I couldn't do anything but tasting because of the terrible weather. I tasted most of white wine. Finally, I had a few Shiraz mentioning that I usually didn't like Australian Shiraz very much as it was too heavy for me. She chose me "Terroirs of The Barossa 'Greenock-Shiraz 2006", which I like better since it taste milder (at least less heavy) than average Barossa Shiraz.

I went to Murdock and Rockford Wines as well. Murdock has nice restaurant although I didn't have any but some wine, and Rockford was really small and old cellar still remained. They have a variety of red wine, but they don't have many white. I wasn't interested much for such reason, but both of them seemed quite popular and people came privately or are brought by small tour operators.


We dropped by Grand Burge on our way back. It was 10 minutes before closing time. The staff are preparing to shut the door, but we could taste some of them. This cellar is also famous for a beautiful garden, which we unfortunately couldn’t see properly, but the interior also looked really nice. We tasted 3 kinds of white wine and red wine including Barossa Shiraz and GSM. I don't know why, but the flavour of some Shiraz including Grand Burge’s reminded me mugi-cha (roasted barley tea in Japan). So I somehow expected it might be sweet before tasted. And in most case, it wasn't. I suppose that's why I think the taste is too bitter when I taste Australian Shiraz.

---
最初に訪ねたのがベサニー(Bethany)でした。このワイナリーはワインの質でだけでなく、景色の良さからも人気があります。小さなコテージは丘の上にあり、ブドウ畑が裾に広がっています。たくさんの人が訪れますが、スタッフはどの人にも親切で、テイスティングのルールやボトルの扱いについてもいろいろアドバイスをくれました。私は赤ワインを飲む気になれなかったので、白ワインばかりをテイスティングしました。暑さが酷くて冷たいワインの方が良かったこともありますが、消化の悪そうなオーストラリアの料理のせいで、私はすっかり胃もたれしていましたから。それに元々重いワインはあまり好きではなかったのです。

私が飲んだのは、スパークリング・ワインと、エデン・バレーのブトウを使ったいくつかのリースリング・ワインです。オーストラリアのリースリングは、例えドライであってもアルザスのよりも甘めです。ですが冷たくしたものを飲むと、よりドライな飲み口になります。おそらく地元の人はこういう飲み方をするのでしょう。柑橘系のフルーツのような香りがするので、味と香りが合わさることでとてもすっきりとした感じがします。私はこの感じがとても気に入ったので、ここで、2006年のCuvee Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brutと同じく2006年のEden Valley Rieslingを買いました。そしてこれ以降は、どこに行ってもエデン・バレー・リースリングを探すことになりました。

バロッサ・コテージ・ワインズ(Barossa Cottage Wines)は、タナンダ(Tanunda)のビジター・センターで、リースリングが試せる小規模ワイナリーに行ってみたいと尋ねて、勧められたワイナリーでした。オーナー家族はキルトショップも開いていて、店はセラーの前にありました。セラーにもキルトショップにもたくさんのパッチワーク・キルトが飾られていたので、どちらが本業だかよくわからない感じでした。でも大変面白くて、アボリジニ・アートを基にしたようなデザインの、オーストラリアメイドの布の切れ端を買いました。これはたまにパッチワーク・キルトをするうちの母へのお土産でした。ここのワイナリーではドライとスウィートの2種類のエデン・バレー・リースリングがあり、どちらもそれなりに美味しかったです。

シャトー・タナンダ(Chateau Tanunda)も、ビジター・センターで勧められたワイナリーです。とても大きなワイナリーで、一か所で何種類ものワインを試せます。建物は19世紀後半に建てられたオーストラリアで最も古いシャトーと言われますが、ヨーロッパのシャトー(城)のようなものを期待すると、がっかりすると思われます。私は白ワインは殆ど試し、最後にシラーズを飲んでみました。スタッフにオーストラリアのシラーズは私には重すぎるので好きじゃないのだけれど、と言うと、彼女は2006年のTerroirs of The Barossa' Greenock-Shirazを持ってきてくれました。確かにこのワインは、平均的なバロッサ・シラーズよりマイルドで、私の口にも合いました。

マードック(Murdock)ロックフォード(Rockford)にも行きました。私達はテイスティングをしただけですが、マードックは感じの良いレストランになっていましたし、ロックフォードはとても小さいながらも古いセラーを残した趣のある造りでした。何種類もの赤ワインがありましたが、どちらも白ワインはあまり多くなかったです。そのせいで、個人的にはそれほど興味が持てなかったのですが、一般的にはかなり人気のようで、個人で来ている人もいれば小さなツアーに参加して来ている人もいました。

グランド・バージ(Grand Burge)も帰りがけによりました。閉店の10分前に行ったので、スタッフが店仕舞いをしていましたが、かろうじてテイスティングはできました。庭がきれいだと評判のセラーなのですが、そのせいであまり良く見ることができなかったものの、内装は感じが良かったです。3種類の白ワインとバロッサ・シラーズとGSMを含む赤ワインをテイスティングしました。グランド・バージで飲んだのもそうなのですが、テイスティングしたシラーズのうちいくつかのものは麦茶の香りを思い起こさせました。その香りから甘いものを想像すると、大体裏切られます。おそらくそのあたりが、私がオーストラリアのシラーズが渋すぎると思う原因だろうというのがわかりました。

Comments

Popular Posts