The Ghan

From Australia (2009-02)

My train journey to cross the Australian Continent began on February 4. In spite of being sick, I was really excited to go to a train station. I had been exited for months since I booked a compartment on the website, actually. In addition, I had already seen the railway going thorough the south on our way to Litchfield. It made me imagine my train journey and I couldn't wait for seeing the train.

As we booked a Gold Service cabin and stayed one of the major hotels in Darwin, we didn't have to arrange any transport to the station, which was far from city centre. A bus picks up the guests at several hotels and goes to the station. I'm not sure how long it took from the hotel as I was really sick (but it wasn’t driver's fault), but anyway, at last I saw a long train coloured red and silver was in front of me.

The bus stopped shortly at the reception for those who hadn't known their cabin number yet. I got off the bus for a while to take a picture, but it start again soon after I got on. It brought us to our carriage as the train usually have a number of carriages. (I heard sometimes it will be over 1 km long.) Luggage had been already checked in when I got on the bus. We stepped into the cabin with a few baggages we carried on.

The compartment wasn't large, but the seat, which would be a bed at night, was wide. The window wasn't necessarily clean, but it was enough wide to see the outside scenery. I found later, a shower wasn't bad although I couldn't help hesitating to use a toilet. Describing the Gold Service twin cabin as a whole, it is practical enough to spend 2 nights.

The Ghan left Darwin nearly on time, at 10.00 am. Actually, guests have things to do before arriving at Katherine, the next stop. At first, (I remember it was before the train started to move,) an attendant came to our cabin and asks when we would like to have meal. We chose to have later. I didn't want to be hurry in the morning and I had expected there was nothing to do even if I had dinner early. And I think I was right. The next thing to do was book optional tours if you like. I would love to, so we booked boat cruise at Katherine Gorge and the Aboriginal sacred site tour in Alice Springs.

We opened our baggage, read brochure and timetables, and examined the compartment again (as I was curious). Then I slept for a while until the announcement that lunch was prepared.

I think I have to write about wonderful meal on the train, but I dare skip here. As I said, I didn’t feel like enjoying eating so that I actually didn't remember precisely what and how I had in the first day, although I had lunch and dinner. Undoubtedly, it tasted nice and all dishes were small enough to clear (not exactly small, though), which I really liked it.

---
オーストラリア大陸縦断の列車の旅は2月4日に始まりました。具合が悪かったにもかかわらず、駅に行くのに少し興奮していました。予約してからというもの何カ月も興奮していたのです。さらにリッチフィールドに行く途中で、南に延びる線路を見ており、その後の自分の列車の旅を想像しつつ、列車を早く見てみたいと思っていました。

私達はゴールド・サービスの個室を予約しており、ダーウィン市内でも主要ホテルの一つに泊まっていたので、市街地から離れた駅までの足を手配する必要はありませんでした。バスがいくつかのホテルに寄って、乗客をピックアップしてくれるのです。あまりに具合が悪かったので(でもこれは食べ過ぎ飲み過ぎのせいで、運転手さんが悪いわけではないです、あしからず)、ホテルから駅までどのくらいかかったのか分かりませんが、最終的には赤で塗装された銀色の列車を見ることができました。

バスは受付デスクのある場所で一度停まりました。自分のキャビンを把握していない人は、この受付に行きます。私は写真を撮るためにバスから少し降りましたが、再び乗ると間もなくバスが動き出しました。通常かなりの数の車両がつながっているため(時には1km以上になると聞きました)、乗客をそれぞれの車両にまでバスで連れていってくれるのです。預け荷物はバスに乗った時にすでにチェックインされています。自分の乗る車両の前で降りて、持ち込み用の荷物とともに早速キャビンに足を踏み入れました。

個室はそんなに大きくありませんが、夜はベッドになる座席は広かったです。窓はすごくきれいというほどではなかったのですが、外の景色を見るには十分な広さでした。後で気づいたのですが、トイレを使うのは躊躇われる感じでしたが、シャワーは悪くなかったです。全体的には、ゴールド・サービスのツインキャビンは、二泊するには十分な設備でした。

ザ・ガンはほぼ定刻通り、午前10時頃に出発しました。乗客は次の停車駅、キャサリンに到着するまですることがいくつかあります。まず(多分列車が動く前だったような気がしますが)、乗務員が各個室にやってきて食事の時間をいつにするか聞いてきます。私たちは後の方にしました。朝慌てたくなかったのと、夕食を早めに取ってもその後にすることはあまりないかと思ったので。この予想は正解だったと思います。

次は停車駅で行われるツアーに参加したければ、申し込みをします。こういうツアーは結構好きだったので、キャサリン渓谷のボートクルーズとアリス・スプリングスでのアボリジニの聖地巡りのツアーに申し込みました。

手荷物を開け、リーフレットや予定表を読み、個室をまたじっくりと見まわしました(あまりに興味深かったので)。そして私は昼食の準備ができたというアナウンスがあるまで少し休みました。

昼食の時間の話まできたので、列車での美味しい食事についても書くべきなのでしょうが、ここで書くのはやめておこうと思います。なぜならこの日は具合が悪くて食事を楽しむ気分ではなく、そのために昼食と夕食で何を食べたのかはっきりと覚えていないのです。ですが、美味しくて、私でも平らげられるくらいの量だったのは確かで、私は非常にそれが気に入っていました。

Comments

Popular Posts