From Narita to Darwin

From Australia (2009-02)

In order to go to Darwin from Japan, we have to change plane somewhere in Australia, or probably at Singapore airport. I flew to Cairns, and then I took a plane to Darwin, which went to Singapore after making the stopover.

I didn't mean it, but they were Jetstar's flights. I bought Qantas’s air tickets, but my outward flight was code-sharing one between Qantas and Jetstar. Perhaps it was okay if I chose cheap flight from the beginning. But for people expecting certain degree of hospitality on board, feel little uncomfortable. I was one of them. I couldn't sleep on the plane as usual although it was night. (Instead, I say Orion and thousands of stars through the window, which was stunning.)

The worst thing about our flight, the connection at Cairns was awful than I expected. The plane from Tokyo arrived there at about 5 o'clock in the morning, but our next flight departed at almost 1 o'clock in the afternoon. It was rainy Sunday morning (of course, it often rains in the Wet). I stayed in the small airport as I had been very tired. Even if we had visited to the city, there would have been almost nothing to see.

People from Tokyo boarding same flight soon left (I suppose they were going to Gold Coast), and then the airport became extremely quiet. There were a few flights before 9 as far as I remember. I didn't hear any announcements and chatting voice, but tropical birds warbling. Everything except a small cafe was closed when we were there.

I was worn out while I was in the airport, but I got excited when the plane left Cairns, The view from the sky was spectacular. I saw vast green wet plains stretched below. It was apparently Kakadu National Park. I had given up going there because it was difficult to spend many days during the short stay in Darwin, so I was lucky to see them.

Many guidebooks and websites tell that some area in the national park was closed in the Wet (so that it was better to go in the Dry, they also say), but I didn't understand what was like. Japan also has rainy season, but Japanese climate is temperate and Tokyo rarely floods even if it rains heavily. I mean, I hadn't been able to imagine tropical weather.

Picture is worth a thousand words. The bush seemed to flood and I saw a number of trees on the water. It was like a huge marsh. There were some long thin ochre lines, but it soon disappeared from the land. Actually, they were unsealed roads and were deluged caused by excessive rainfall.

Soon after the plane passed the area, I saw more houses, stores and sealed roads. I realised we were approaching Darwin.

---
日本からダーウィンに行くには、オーストラリア国内の空港か、おそらくシンガポールあたりで乗り継ぎをしなくてはいけません。私はケアンズ経由で向かったのですが、ケアンズから乗ったのは、ダーウィン経由シンガポール行きの便でした。

今回は、図らずもジェットスターの飛行機に乗ることになりました。カンタス航空の便を予約してはいたのですが、行きはカンタス航空とジェットスターの共同運航便だったのです。昨年12月に成田に就航したばかりの航空会社について感想を言わせてもらうならば、多分より安い交通手段を選ぶ人にとっては良いのでしょうが、昔堅気に、機内である程度のサービスを受けたいと思う人にはあまり乗り心地の良いものではない、というところです。(でもそのおかげで、窓からオリオン座など、冬の星が光る夜空を自分の真横に見ることができましたが。)

往路で最悪だったのは、ケアンズでの乗り継ぎが想像以上にひどかったことです。東京からの便は早朝5時頃に着いたのですが、次に乗る便はその日の午後1時近くでした。日曜日の早朝、しか外は雨(雨季だから仕方がないですけど)。空港に何もないからと言って、町の中心部に出てみたとしても、行くところなどなかったと思います。

東京から同じ便に乗ってきた人々はまもなくいなくなり(おそらくゴールドコーストに行ったのだと思います)、空港はひっそりとしてしましました。覚えている限りでは9時くらいまで、飛行機の出入りはほとんどなかった気がします。アナウンスもなければ人の声すらしません。唯一聞こえたのは熱帯の鳥の鳴き声だけです。小さなカフェ以外、店やサービスカウンターは全部閉まっていました。

ケアンズでは憔悴しきっていたのですが、ダーウィン行きの飛行に乗ったら、また気分が高揚してきました。窓から見る景色が素晴らしかったのです。それは一面緑に覆われた地面で、どうやらカカドゥ国立公園のようでした。ダーウィン滞在が短期間で、その間に慌てて見ても楽しくないから、と行くことを諦めた場所だっただけに、空からだけでも見られたのはラッキーでした。

多くのガイドブックやウェブサイトでは、雨季にはカカドゥ国立公園内のいくつかの場所は閉鎖されているという風に(だから乾季に行った方が良いとも)書いてあります。でも私にはその「閉鎖」の意味がよく分かりませんでした。日本には梅雨(これも雨季ですよね)はあれど、所詮は温帯性気候ですし、東京では降水量が多くてもそんなにはひどい洪水にはならないですから。つまり、熱帯の気候というのが想像できなかったのです。

百聞は一見にしかず、でした。一面水浸しで比較的高めの木でも水に浸っていました。まるで湿地帯のようです。 中に途中で切れてしまう、いくつかの細長い黄土色の線が見えました。これ、実は舗装されていない道路で、ものすごい豪雨で一部が水没してしまっているのでした。

この地域を越えると間もなく、人家や店と思しき建物や舗装道路が見えてきました。飛行機がダーウィンに近づいていることに気が付きました。

Comments

Popular Posts