Islamic Cairo (カイロのイスラム教地区)

After I went back from Alexandria, I decided myself that I looked around the city without using a taxi as far as I could. I mean, getting on a taxi was extremely stressful to me.

Each area in Cairo has different characters as it is a very large. The area called Islamic Cairo had drawn my attention before I came to Egypt as it was my first trip visiting Muslim country.

Islamic Cairo is a part of central Cairo east of Nile River noted for its historically important mosques and other Islamic monuments. Most of group tourists visit there in order to look for Arabic feeling in this city, but where they visit is the Citadel, a medieval Islamic fortification built by Saladin, and Khan el-Khlili Market. I was sick of dealing with tourist sharks, so that I chose the route visiting the Citadel and the oldest mosque in the city. I dared to avoid going to a market.

I took a metro in a north-south direction going the east side of the river from Sadat station. It was the same as the way you get on a train in Tokyo. You buy a ticket at a ticket office (as there wasn't a machine when I visited), and insert it in a ticket gate when you go through. One thing you would better be careful is that the train door close soon even if passengers haven't got off and on. Female passengers do it little easier because every train has a women-only car and women get it on less than men. Although even female passengers looked at me very curiously, it was rather comfortable than being in a crowded car filled with Egyptian guys. The train goes underground in center of the city, but it was seen above the ground before it reached the El-Sayyida Zeinab station, where I got off.

Outside of the station looked chaotic, and we were not sure our direction any more. A friend of mine asked the way in English, but many people didn't speak it, so that they told him the way in probably Egyptian Arabic which we couldn't completely understand. Fortunately, one woman who understood little English saw that I was in little trouble and kindly led us to the main route to the Mosque of Ibn Tulun (which we headed to).

On the way to the mosque we bumped into a friendly Egyptian middle-aged man as well. He was selling falafel, fried patty made from ground chickpeas. When my friend bought one, he gave me a one to try although I didn't ask. It wrapped in flat bread with other fresh vegetables (Italian parsley, sliced tomato and onion as far as I remember) to try. I hesitated at first as I was afraid of food poisoning, but of course I ate it as I hardly refused in such situation. He was delighted that I ate it and thanked him in Arabic, and then he gave me another and bought me some chips and drink at another shop in front of his shop.

I concluded that Egyptians people are generous, but people making their living by tourism were something different from ordinary Egyptians.



アレキサンドリアから戻ってきてから、カイロではなるべくタクシーを使うのはよそうと心に決めました。だってあまりにストレスだったから。

何しろ大都市なのでカイロと一口で言っても、各地域で特色が違っています。中でもイスラム教地区は、それまでイスラム教国に行ったことがなかった私にとってはエジプトに来る前から興味があったところです。

カイロのイスラム教地区は町の中心部、ナイル川の東側にあり、歴史的に有名なモスクや他のイスラム教建造物があることで知られています。ツアー旅行客のほとんどはアラブ的雰囲気を求めてこの辺りにやってきますが、彼らが立寄るところといえば、サラディン(Saladin)によって建てられた中世の要塞シタデル(Citadel)と、バザールのあるハーン・ハリーリ(Khan el-Khlili Market)くらいです。観光客を喰いものにする人達にはうんざりしていたので、私はシタデルとカイロで最も古いモスクを巡るルートを選びました。敢えてバザールには行かなかったのです。

サダット(Sadat)駅からナイルの東側を南北に走るメトロに乗りました。電車への乗り方は日本とほぼ一緒です。切符売り場でチケットを買い(自動券売機はこの時はなかったので)、自動改札機にそれを入れて入ります。唯一注意した方が良いのが、電車のドアが人が降りていようと乗りこもうとしていようと、すぐに閉まってしまう点です。ただし女性の乗客は少し楽です。なぜなら必ず女性専用車両がついているし、女性の乗客数は男性に比べてかなり少ないからです。車中、例え同性であっても観光客である私のことは好奇の目で見てきますが、エジプト人男性だけで満員の車両に乗り込むよりは格段に快適でした。電車は町の中心部では地下を走っていますが、セイイーダ・ゼイナブ(El-Sayyida Zeinab)駅の手前で地上に出ます。そしてこの駅こそが、私達の降りる駅でした。
駅の外に出ると街並みは混沌としていて、どちらの方向に行ったら良いかすっかりわからなくなってしまいました。友人が英語で道を尋ねたのですが、地元の人は英語なんか話さないのでエジプト方言のアラビア語と思しき言葉で返してきます。こうなると良くわからないので困りものです。幸い英語が少しわかる女性が私が困っていることを察して、私達が行こうとしていたイブン・トゥールーンのモスク(Mosque of Ibn Tulun)へ行く大きな通りまで親切にも連れて行ってくれました。

この後、モスクまでの道でも親切な中年男性に出会いました。ファラフェル(挽いたひよこ豆で作ったパテを油で揚げたもの)を売っているおじさんで、連れが一つだけ買ったところ、私にも食べてみろと言って勧めてくれたのです。ピタパンのような薄いパンにイタリアンパセリとトマトの薄切りと玉ねぎの薄切りと一緒に入れてありました。食あたりが心配で最初は躊躇していたのですが、断れるはずもなく、結局食べることに。私が食べ終えて、片言のアラビア語で「ありがとう」というと喜んで、揚げ立てのファラフェルともう一つと、別の店で買ってきたスナックと飲み物までくれました。

この時到達した結論。エジプト人はとても親切だけれど、観光で生計を立てている人は普通の人とは何か違うみたいです。

Comments

Popular Posts