Egyptian Museum (エジプト考古学博物館)


I am sure that the most popular tourist attraction in the central Cairo is the Egyptian Museum (formally named as the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities). It is the biggest museum in Egypt consisting of 120,000 items of Ancient Egypt, and I can say that I went to Cairo to see this museum. You will see it is not an exaggeration when I tell you that I stayed at Nile Hilton considering the access to the museum.

I visited January 6, the day before I left Egypt. I went there 30 minutes before the opening as the number of visitors seemed smaller in the morning as far as I was watching in front of museum from a hotel room. However, the Front of the museum was already in a mess. Many bases had parked in front of the gate and group tourists were about to surge forward. When we pushed through vehicles and other people and went inside the gate after the first security check.

As I had experienced at the Great Pyramid, it took a certain amount of time to buy a ticket at the ticket booth outside the building because of tour conductors who bought a lot of tickets for his customers. Visitors had to store some belongings prohibited to bring inside, but I carelessly forgot about my camera at that moment. As a result, I had to go back to the cloak after I reached the entrance of the building with effort. I went through the security check at the entrance for the second time.

Even though I had been totally exhausted before watching the exhibition, I rushed for the exhibition of Tutankhamun. I had heard that visitors will difficult to see the famous Gold Mask properly if they see it before the room got crowded (because many tourists visit the museum to see it), and I think it was one of the most fruitful advices in this trip. Not only the mask, but other decorated chest and jewelry were extremely beautiful. Besides, the means of exhibition was obviously more organized comparing to other items. Honestly, I felt it wasn't fair because they were given special treatment although there were so many other important antiquities in the museum.

I saw the other items in the museum carefully and I made sure they were all significant and worth watching, but unfortunately, they looked less attractive than the exhibition of Tutankhamun. I think it is simply because of lack of the careful preservation and restoration and the development of exhibition technique, but the because of the importance of antiquities.

Exhibition of mummies in Royal Mummy Room was more exciting than I had imagined. I have seen mummies in the British Museum. They simply appeared to me dried-out objects as I couldn't imagine anything from those things. Yet, the mummies in this room were historically famous, so that I felt them more familiar than mummies of unknown people at least.



カイロ市内で一番人気の観光スポットといえばエジプト考古学博物館(Egyptian Museum, 正式にはthe Museum of Egyptian Antiquities)でしょう。古代エジプト、ギリシア、ローマに関する12万点もの考古遺物を所蔵するエジプト最大の博物館で、私もこの博物館を見るためにカイロに来たといっても過言ではありません。何しろ博物館へのアクセスを考えて、滞在先をナイル・ヒルトンにしたくらいですから。

1月6日、カイロを発つ前日にようやくここを訪れました。ホテルの部屋から博物館の前の様子をずっと眺めていて、朝のうちなら人が少なそうだということに気がつき、開館30分前に行きました。ですがそれでも博物館の前はごった返していて、たくさんのツアーバスが停まっていて、そこからツアー客が押し寄せようとしているところでした。車と人をかき分け、最初のセキュリティ・チェックを受けてようやく門の中に入ります。

大ピラミッドのところでも経験したことですが、ツアーガイドが自分の客のために大量のチケットを買うせいで、チケット売り場で入場券を買うのも一苦労です。館内持ち込み禁止になっている持ち物は預けないといけないのですが、この時私は不注意でカメラを預け忘れてしまいました。そのため苦労して一度建物の入口まで行き着いたのに荷物預かり所まで戻らなくてはならず、2度目のチャレンジでようやく中に入れました。

所蔵品を見る前にすっかり疲れ切った私でしたが、ツタンカーメン王の展示のところまで急いで行きました。かの有名な黄金のマスクは展示室が混雑する前に見ておかないと、きちんと見るのが大変だと(何しろ殆どの観光客はこれを見に博物館に来るのだから)聞いていたからです。確かにこれは的確なアドバイスでした。マスクに限らず、装飾の施された棺や装飾品の美しさといったら。それに展示方法も博物館の他の展示品に比べて整然としていました。正直なところ、他にも素晴らしい所蔵品があるのにここだけが特別扱いされるのはフェアじゃないと思ったくらいです。

他の展示品もきちんと見てきましたが、どれも重要で一見の価値あるものばかりですが、残念ながらツタンカーメン王の副葬品の展示よりは見劣りしていました。考古遺物としての重要性の度合からではなく、単に丁寧な保存・修復が行われていなかったり、展示方法が未熟だったりということからなのだと思います。

Royal Mummy Room という部屋にあるミイラは思っていた以上に興味深いものでした。大英博物館で古代エジプトのミイラを見た時は、ただの乾いた物体くらいにしか思えずそこから何かを想像するなんてできなかったのですが、ここにあるミイラはどれもいわば歴史的「有名人」なので、名前を聞いたこともない人物よりは身近に感じられたのです。

Comments

Popular Posts